Donations Goodwill CAN Accept
“What does Goodwill accept?” This is a common question that we hope to comprehensively answer on this page.
While the list of items on this page covers most of what is commonly donated to Goodwill of Greater Washington, please note that we can’t cover everything. If you have an item that isn’t on this page (and isn’t covered in Donations Goodwill CANNOT accept) then please reach out to your local Goodwill to ask directly.
What Will Goodwill Accept?
Before we get to our list of items you are welcome to donate, a quick word on our general requirements.
Goodwill of Greater Washington accepts a wide range of items, but as these items need to be sold to our customers – we, unfortunately, cannot accept items that are broken, damaged or soiled. Certain large items are also likely to be refused. So please review the list below and once again, we sincerely thank you for even considering donating items to our cause. People like you help to keep our organization and programs running, which in turn benefits the community.
List of Items That Goodwill Accepts:
All clothing and outerwear need to be clean and free of stains, tears, pet hairs, and odor. We are happy to accept everything from vintage clothing through to new items. If you have clothing to donate, Goodwill is the place for you.
Items we welcome include:
- Men’s clothing and outerwear.
- Woman’s clothing and outerwear.
- Children and infant clothing.
Once again, we accept new and old accessories as long as they are in good condition.
Common items donated include:
- Shoes, belts, handbags, and briefcases.
- Hats, gloves, scarves, and ties.
Linens and Textiles
A very common question is, “Does Goodwill take pillows?” The answer is yes, and no. We welcome decorative and throw pillows, but not pillows used for sleeping.
Beyond that specific request, we welcome clean and stain-free linen and textiles including:
- Bedspreads, blankets, sheets, and towels.
- Curtains and draperies.
- Area and throw rugs.
Houseware donations are a great help for people looking to make a better home on a budget. We are thrilled to receive any donations that are in good and working condition, including:
- Dishes, glassware, and silverware.
- Exercise equipment.
- Cookware including pots, pans, lids, and utensils.
- Baskets, tins, Rubbermaid®, Tupperware®, and other storage containers.
- Pictures, frames, and decorative knick-knacks.
- Office and school supplies; general-use tools (no large machines).
- Medical aids such as walkers, shower seats, wheelchairs.
Used electronics is another popular category and we’re pleased to accept any items that are not too big, are functioning and include all necessary parts for the item to work. This includes cords and cables.
Here are some specific electronic items that are common donation items:
- Radios, stereo systems, mp3 players, VCRs, and DVD players.
- Due to the Digital TV Transition, Goodwill will only accept flat-screen TVs.
- Goodwill supports the donation of small appliances such as toaster ovens, Foreman Grills®, coffee makers, vacuum cleaners, and portable air conditioners.
- Microwave Ovens in acceptable condition.
- Lamps and fans that are CPSC approved (visit www.cpsc.gov for more info).
- Lawn cutting equipment (all fuel must be removed prior to donating).
Art and Antiques
Art and antiques are among the most popular items for our customers, so we’re always on the lookout for new stock.
We welcome mass-produced items, signed art pieces, and collectibles of any kind including:
- Comic books.
We welcome furniture that is clean and in good, sellable condition. Furniture should be free of pet hair and not ripped, soiled, or torn.
Common donation items consist of:
- Sofas, loveseats, chairs, recliners, ottomans, couches and nightstands.
- Kitchen furniture, coffee tables, side tables, dining sets and china cabinets.
- Desks, credenzas, bookshelves, etc.
Books, Video Games, DVDs and More
At any Goodwill store or our online store, you will find a range of entertainment at bargain prices. If you have items collecting dust, we would love for you to contribute to our mission by donating these items.
We support the donation of:
- Vinyl records, cassette tapes (including books on tape), CDs, and video games.
- Hardback and paperback books, including textbooks and encyclopedias.
- DVDs and VHS movies.
Computers and Software
When it comes to computer equipment, we welcome all brands and in ANY condition. That’s right, thanks to our recycling program, we can even receive broken computers.
- Desktop PCs, laptops, keyboards, speakers, etc.
- Software programs less than two years old.
- Gaming systems (Playstation, Xbox, Wii, Nintendo, Sega, etc.).
Sport and Exercise Equipment
Does Goodwill accept treadmills? You bet we do! We welcome all kinds of sporting and exercise equipment, as long as they are not damaged and unable to function as intended.
We look for:
- Bicycles, golf clubs, tennis racquets, bowling balls, etc.
- Treadmills, stationary bikes, ab rollers, free weights, etc.
Toy donations are incredibly valuable, not due to what they bring in, but because a lot of children rely on the affordable toys provided at our stores. A toy donation will make a child somewhere very happy as well as helping single mothers, young parents, and families struggling to make ends meet.
- Toys for babies through teens.
- Dolls, stuffed animals, sealed games and puzzles.
Vehicles, Boats, Motorcycles
While we typically do not take on large items, we have an exception for vehicles. The owner must present a title or proof of ownership as required by law. For further details, please contact Goodwill of Greater Washington at (866) 492-2770 or visit www.gwcars.org.
- Cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
- Recreational vehicles.
- Boats on trailers.